[Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers)

David Blaikie via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 13 17:53:45 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Hal Finkel via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]

At least naively, I'd expect opaque pointer types to be backwards
compatible (ie: we can load old bitcode and just strip all the pointer
types and bitcasts). But perhaps it still meets the bar of a big change &
may be worth shedding all the backwards compatibility weight sooner rather
than later after the change, for sure.

(as to the main issue - yeah, I tend to agree with you/Mehdi, etc - go to
3.10 and so on, until we decide it's worth breaking back-compat - do we
need to update any wording about our back-compat guarantee that says we
won't do the inverse (4.3 -> 5.0 because we decide we have another breaking
change), though? Since we'll demonstrated that primary version bumps aren't
on a strict ~5 year cycle anymore - probably don't need to do anything, but
just a thought)

- Dave