[Openmp-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

C Bergström via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 14:57:25 PDT 2016

> Again, this is a decision the LLVM community needs to make based on its own cost/benefit analysis. We often don't start new projects with mature code -- in fact, doing that is an unusual case.

I can't speak for every new project, but the ones I've followed
closely (OMP hell) I can say that not a single piece of code was
accepted without a fight and that it was meant to be production grade
on every commit. It lived and lives partially outside the llvm tree
still as a result of this.. This is a great thing in many regards, but
now it's a double edged sword.

I have said this before and I'll say it again.. I wish the llvm
project would take a long hard look at how the Apache foundation
handles projects. They have an incubator process which clearly defines
the whole applications to acceptance process. Nothing like that exists
around here and the result we get is long email threads where it's all
just opinions without any tangible reference or SOP.

I'm not sure the Apache foundation has a height requirement but most
of the projects applying to join have at least some traction and are
usually small communities trying to join a bigger one.. Not next to
nothing and just trying to bootstrap..