[Openmp-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Hal Finkel via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 05:52:45 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "C Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>
> To: "Hal Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov>

I meant across many platforms. Intel had preliminary support for OpenMP 4 offloading directives even before OpenMP 4 was standardized (in 2013). This did not include all of what ended up in the standard, and the offloading part of the standard needed to be fixed in a breaking way for OpenMP 4.1/4.5 regardless, so this is certainly the exception rather than the rule.

Yes, many are working on implementations, and some have shipped. There's a list here: http://openmp.org/wp/openmp-compilers/ - no one here really lists any OpenMP 4 offloading implementations before 2015. PGI does not currently list OpenMP 4 at all (although they've certainly done a lot of work on OpenACC).

> > Furthermore, our implementation is certainly
> > quite new, and OpenMP 4 offloading is really quite akin to SE in
> > that
> > regard.
>
> Strongly disagree - Intel has been working with the LLVM community on
> the parsing/sema and other parts of OMP4 for like a year or more..
> This has been a long and well vetted process backed back a well
> defined standard.

Yes, both Intel and IBM have contributed significantly to Clang in this regard.

> Compared to SE which is just some thing that popped
> up out of nowhere and

It popped up in TensorFlow, which itself popped up out of nowhere, but is already a popular open-source project for machine learning.

> has a couple people from Google throwing their
> weight around.

Google is a trusted member of the LLVM community and a major contributor. So I agree with you in the following sense: When Google promises to update the code to follow LLVM's coding conventions and to manage its future development in accordance with our community norms, I believe them. I think they've earned a place in the "trust but verify" category in this regard, and I think this is a positive thing.

> > I view them both as experimental projects, and both have strong
> > backing with significant investment, so I expect both to mature
> > over time.
>
> I'd agree both are experimental and probably need some work. I'd
> strongly disagree the amount of investment of both projects is equal.
> Again - OMP4 may have zero real world users, but there's a lot of
> stubborn people trying to make it work. Compared to SE which the
> people involved have yet to even answer basic things - like what's
> the
> future of SE and how to contribute to it.

They might not know what the future is. They have code that is useful to them, and they feel would be useful to others. There's strong potential for compiler integration in the future, but it is just a library now. They've talked about extending it to cover different backends (OpenCL, etc.), and investigating host-based-task dependencies, etc. My impression is that, in general, they'd like the code's users, present and future, to shape its future. All of this seems perfectly healthy. If it becomes part of LLVM, how to contribute to it will become clear.

> > Our non-subtle strategic goal as a community should be to encourage
> > the
> > various teams to take advantage of each others expertise in the
> > most
> > practical way.
>
> I think we need to pushback against more programming models, but I
> agree we should encourage lots of great patches around things like
> the
> pass manager.
>
> IMHO it's more productive to spend time trying to improve the
> programming models and standards we have than experimental fun ideas.

Perhaps this is our fundamental disagreement. I still view experimentation in the accelerator offloading space as appropriate and healthy, even though some standards have emerged.

> ---------
> Can you point me at something concrete which SE would allow you to do
> which an existing model can't?

OpenMP has problems integrating cleanly with C++ abstractions, and having been involved in some of the discussions on the OpenMP side of things, the path forward here is yet unclear. DOE itself is developing several C++ parallelism abstractions which support offloading (Kokkos, RAJA, etc.), which can backend on OpenMP 4, but can be (and some have been) retargeted to other programming models as well.

I still don't think we've figured out the right answer here.

Thanks again,
Hal

--
Hal Finkel