[Openmp-dev] Balanced affinity test

Churbanov, Andrey via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 12:45:26 PDT 2016

Hi Chris,

Actually any test with openmp parallel region can be used for testing of this feature. I used simple “hello” test with addition of empty parallel.
What matters here:

1.      setting of KMP_AFFINITY=balanced,verbose  (verbose - to see how threads are bound, otherwise more complicated test is needed, probably different for each particular system);

2.      running on various HW topologies with various thread numbers, and see how threads are bound. I used taskset on regular Linux Intel64 multi socket multi code HT-enabled machine to emulate various topologies.

If you meant automatic test for regular runs on different architectures, - this is problematic, because it is hard to check that threads are bound in some particular way without knowing details of a particular machine and OS. I failed to figure out how to write such a generic test, though maybe it is possible somehow.

Regards,
Andrey