[Openmp-dev] [LLVMdev] OpenMP 3.1 Implementation Complete

Jack Howarth howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 13 07:03:30 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Bataev, Alexey <a.bataev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jack, this is not a problem of this patch, this a problem of your
> configuration. This patch uses standard clang machinery for locating t
> libiomp5 library.
>
> Best regards,
> Alexey Bataev
> =============
> Software Engineer
> Intel Compiler Team

Andrey,
     I disagree in that currently the clang machinery only expects to
have to look in the subdirectory lib/clang/3.7.0/lib/darwin for shared
libraries. Considering that libc++ is the only other shared library in
llvm which clang had to track in the past, this issue hasn't really
been addressed in the past. It is clearly wrong for clang to allow
libiomp5.dylib to be installed in a buried subdirectory using the
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX cmake option which clang then doesn't know about
when attempting to link -liomp5. I am not saying the patch itself is
flawed but rather than there needs to be a discussion about the
expected search path for libraries in clang vs the installed locations
of libiomp5. Currently we have a gap where the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
cmake option allows libiomp5.dylib to be installed in a location that
clang is unaware of which is clearly broken behavior.
             Jack