[Openmp-dev] libiomp, not libgomp as default library linked with -fopenmp

Andrey Bokhanko andreybokhanko at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:18:35 PDT 2015

All,

Let me summarize the discussion so far:

1) It seems everyone agree that libiomp (by whatever name it will be
known) should be default library for -fopenmp option. Yay!
2) Some people are concerned that libomp's readme file doesn't express
its multi-platform nature. As Jim Cownie pointed out, developers who
actually ported the library to non-x86 platforms are most knowledgable
on state of things for each particular platform, and should update
readme file themselves.
3) Some people believe that libiomp is not a proper name anymore and
should be changed. I'm not a library expert, so really don't know.
However, this means that we should flip default library setting ASAP.
Why? Because now "libiomp5" is a user-visible name (one has to use
"-fopenmp=libiomp5" to enable OpenMP in clang) and the sooner it will
become non user-visible, the better. Any objections here?

Andrey