[Openmp-dev] CMake overhaul

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jun 23 01:06:44 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:50 AM C Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>
wrote:

> In regards to Chandlers questions
>
> liboffload absolute does not belong inside libomp. Any reference to it
> is likely Intel legacy. They should work together, but liboffload is
> something which IMHO should be used by other programming models and
> not tightly coupled only to OMP.
>
> (OpenCL, C++AMP, CUDA. etc)

I'd like to see generic offloading and device runtime libraries in LLVM as
well, but a) they don't belong in the 'openmp' project, and b) this doesn't
seem to be it (at least in its current form).

This really looks like a specific implementation of the OpenMP 4.0
offloading runtime support. the 'offload.h' header defines a wide range of
OpenMP APIs for offloading and only reserved names for a a very small
number of generic offloading interfaces.

There is probably some really good generic offloading logic *inside* this
that would be good to extract into a common accelerator / offloading
runtime library though. But probably into a separate runtime project from
this one, and there would still probably be an openmp offloading runtime
library to satisfy the 4.0 spec stuff.

Maybe I've misunderstood the contents of the library?
-Chandler