[llvm-foundation] LLVM Infrastructure

Renato Golin via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 20 04:48:14 PDT 2016

On 20 May 2016 at 00:59, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> I’m confused by this mail.  On the one hand, you claim to be asking about the foundation’s plans (which seems perfectly on topic for this list), but OTOH you are spending a lot of words talking about what you think the plan should be (something that would be more appropriate for a dev list).  For example:

Hi Chris,

This is a meta email. I'm spending some time laying out what kinds of
issues I think are important and what kinds of discussions I think
should take place, here or there, for each one of them.

So far, every time I asked about the foundation "what are the plans
for infrastructure", I got vague answers like "it's ok" or "we're
migrating the servers".

I can see how my vague question could be interpreted as just a check
up, so this time I decided to be very thorough. Maybe I did too
much... :(

>>  A. Code repositories
>>
>> The SVN server is reasonably unstable, having outages that affect all buildbots.
>
> I think that we as a community should strongly consider moving LLVM’s hosting to github.  That would surely be a controversial topic, but could bring a lot of advantages to the project.

I'd love to see this discussion on the dev list! But I don't have the
specific details on the current costs / stability.

I don't think this is a matter of preference, but about costs and
integration with everyone else's infrastructure.

Indeed, as I said early in the email:

> > For example, changing the web server from cloud to cloud makes no
> > difference, so it doesn't need to be a public process, but changing
> > our repository provider may affect a lot of internal processes, and
> > people will react badly if nothing is shared with them beforehand, so
> > we need some exposure beforehand.

All my comments on this thread were to help the foundation understand
what issues I'd like to see discussed, here or there, about
infrastructure.

We still have a lot of infrastructure problems and decisions to take,
and the way companies (like Linaro) progresses with LLVM validation
depends a lot on where the rest of the community is going.

But instead of me sending one email per subjects in this thread to the
dev list, and starting a huge number of concurrent threads, I though
I'd ask the foundation to provide their view and numbers on such a
discussion.

After all, I don't know how the budget will be spent, nor I know who
will be taking care of the issues, or how many servers we have and
where they are. That is something only the foundation can bring to the
table, and it's something that I wouldn't start any discussion
without.

If you're happy to provide me with all the details (current status,
yearly budget), I can start those discussions on the dev list. But I'm
equally happy for the foundation to start that on its own, and thus,
this email.

cheers,
--renato