[llvm-foundation] Voting

Vikram Adve via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 14:49:31 PDT 2016

I agree that an explicit Web form would be much more effective than input gathered via email.  Email is fine for discussion and to air the issues, but (especially on hot-button issues) is quite skewed towards the people who have the time for endless discussions and who get passionate about everything.

I also agree that a popular vote is not a good way to make the final decisions on important issues that affect the entire community.  As (I think) Hal pointed out, too many people vote with only limited information or insight, or without carefully considering the issues.  The information gathered from the community using Web forms can be weighed carefully by a neutral and representative advisory board — or in some cases, the Foundation board — in making overall decisions.

—Vikram

// Vikram S. Adve
// Professor, Department of Computer Science
// University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
// vadve at illinois.edu
// http://llvm.org

// vadve at illinois.edu
// http://llvm.org