[llvm-foundation] Voting

Hal Finkel via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 12:03:18 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

I understand your point, but I don't think this addresses the problem we have in practice. The problem we have in practice is determining when we have consensus. This is because a small percentage of our community actively participates in any given discussion, and disproportionally loud opponents or proponents can skew the apparent tenor of the conversation.

 -Hal

> > I don't want to distract from your detailed
> > proposal, but it seems the desired governance model needs to be
> > defined before delving in to the details of how to implement it. Or
> > has this discussion taken place somewhere?
>
> This is what we have done as far as I can remember, and is my
> interpretation of what we have evolved into.
>
> From previous posts in this list, the foundation doesn't want to be a
> driving force, but a supporting force, and I very much support this
> view. We have had the model of consensus for a long time and it has
> worked very well so far. In that case, the foundation can only make
> it
> better.
>
> I think Chris' words reflect that position well:
>
> "Most things can be done by the community, the foundation should only
> step in when there is no ability (e.g. legal issues) or apparent will
> (e.g. the website overhaul) to do it."
>

> > Communities such as
> > FreeBSD, Debian, and others obviously have rather more involved and
> > fully defined decision procedures.
>
> I am confident that this will not work for LLVM.
>
> We grew into a group of mostly agreeable and respectable people, and
> politics will only drive us away from each other and tear the
> community appart (see Britain).
>
> The day that we *need* politics, the community will be long dead. The
> GitHub, code of conduct and license threads are great examples of how
> we can persevere against the odds and come up better as a group.
>
> We may not agree with everything, and take a long time to change
> things, but we're always moving towards what the collective believes
> is better (whatever that means).
>
> Less haste, more speed.
>
> cheers,
> --renato