[llvm-dev] Placement of static allocas

Mahesha S via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 21 07:40:49 PDT 2021

Hi-

Here is my understanding and assumption about the placement of static
allocas:

"All static allocas should appear in the entry basic block before any
function call for better optimization opportunities. If there are
interleaved static allocas with function call in-between, such an ir is
considered broken, even though the ir is valid from correctness
perspective. And if any pass is not adhering to the requirement that all
static allocas should be placed in the entry block before any function
call, then such a pass is considered broken since it may lead to surprising
results in general."

Let me know if my above understanding is correct or not.

Thanks,
Mahesha