[llvm-dev] IMPORTANT: LLVM Bugzilla migration

Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 30 01:58:20 PST 2021

Hello

> Until I read LLVM Weekly I didn't realize you had a document stating the progress
I'm so sorry that you missed that link that was posted almost
everywhere: on the mailing list, IRC, Discourse and Discord and even
if you open the bugzilla there is a link.

> Doesn't this link state that a notification WILL be sent out? So is this a big deal? (What's the most amount of email people are going to get (rsmith?), will the notification have a subject line that allows for easy filtering?)
> https://docs.github.com/en/issues/tracking-your-work-with-issues/transferring-an-issue-to-another-repository
Indeed the link states so. However, GitHub told us that they are able
to transfer the issues w/o notifications being sent. Final checking
revealed that they were not quite right (and this is yet another bug
on their side) and in some cases notifications are still sent. They
are working on fixing this issue, unfortunately, the delivery of the
fix was delayed with the major GitHub outage that happened recently
that influenced our migration as well.

The notification would be sent for each issue transferred if the user
was assigned or mentioned in the issue. Tom and Hans, for example,
will receive more than 1k emails thanks to their hard work of being
release managers. In a total, migration of more than 50k issues would
issue several hundred thousand of emails and this is not something we
are going to do: this can overload some mail systems, increase bounce
rates and could create lots of spam filter triggering.

> Can you update the ETA? How much longer do you expect we will be without a bug tracker? What is the plan if you get no response from github?
So far we've been told that the transfer ought to happen within the
next 48 hours. As a last resort we will transfer only a portion of the
bugs – the ones that are open. This would reduce the amount of mailing
at least 3x.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University