[llvm-dev] DBG_VALUE / DBG_VALUE_LIST handling when moving/cloning instructions

Heejin Ahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 10 23:20:18 PDT 2021

Hello,

When doing various transformations, such as moving or cloning, on
instructions in the LLVM backend MIR, is there a recommended way to update
or move their corresponding DBG_VALUE/DBG_VALUE_LIST instructions?

We WebAssembly devs couldn't find a way two years ago so we created a
simple class called WebAssemblyDebugValueManager
<https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/llvm/lib/Target/WebAssembly/WebAssemblyDebugValueManager.cpp>,
but now that LLVM gained DBG_VALUE_LIST instruction (which I came to know
only recently), I'm wondering if we are reinventing the wheel. When other
targets change/move/clone instructions, what do they usually use to update
their corresponding debug value instructions?

Thank you,
Heejin