[llvm-dev] [RFC] Implementing the BHive methodology in llvm-exegesis

Ondrej Sykora via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 19 02:16:55 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread. Due to lack of time, we did not
make progress as fast as we planned. We started building a prototype based
on the original proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6sYes0jBRwHUkUZmI2JieDZZBm-HHhAzHlKJOFLLtU/edit#>,
but we found a couple of blockers:
- we found it very difficult to implement the interaction between the
llvm-exegesis process and the child process running the benchmarked code
using the LLDB API.
- in the meantime, the MIT team continued development of the BHive
algorithm, and replaced most of the assembly with C. The new code is
simpler and easier to port to other architectures.

Based on our experience, we're considering a simpler approach compared to
the original proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6sYes0jBRwHUkUZmI2JieDZZBm-HHhAzHlKJOFLLtU/edit#>
:
- if possible, we will use the same C-oriented design as the latest version
of the tool developed at MIT.
- we will focus on a Linux and x86-64 implementation first, with porting to
other architectures (but not operating systems) in mind. This would allow
us to depend on the stable and well-defined Linux syscall interface. To our
best knowledge, llvm-exegesis is already limited to Linux because of its
dependence on the Linux perf subsystem, so this does not create any new
portability restrictions.
- we would use ptrace <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptrace> as a simpler
and more powerful alternative to LLDB. It is a syscall, so it does not
introduce any new external library dependencies.
- in the same spirit, we will depend on the mmap and munmap syscalls rather
than on their abstractions.

Let us know what you think!

Best regards

Ondrej