[llvm-dev] Spill/Reload Instructions Due To Caller Saving Registers

Armand Behroozi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 9 09:35:57 PST 2021

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

TargetInstrInfo::isStoreToStackSlot() does tell you if an instruction is a
spill; but I'm only interested in a subset of spills. I'm trying to find a
way to filter the other ones out.
I believe frame indices have been eliminated b/c I have been using
"isStoreToStackSlotPostFE" and "hasStoreToStackSlot" to determine if an
instruction is a spill. The pass I built is running at the end of
preEmitPass2.

I want to test the efficacy of a technique for reducing the number of
register spills/reloads, but it can only address a subset of them (cannot
handle the case where virtual registers are live across function calls).
I'm trying to quantify how big this subset is and if it's worth doing the
project.

I'm able to identify the subset during the register allocation phase, but
as spills/reloads are moved and hoisted, and new spill/reload instructions
are created while others are deleted, I lose track of how many of these
spills/reloads make it to the final code. This is important, b/c I want to
look at the dynamic spill/reload count, not just the static count.

Thank you.

Regards,

Armand