[llvm-dev] [RFC] LLVM Busybox Proposal

Ben Craig via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 23 06:28:20 PDT 2021

I agree that the official installation case probably isn't an issue.

There are unofficial installation cases that are more annoying.  I wouldn't be able to just zip up my llvm dir and hand it to someone else to unzip like I can today.

The just-built case is a bigger deal.  I do most of my development on Windows from a standard account (non-admin, non-developer).  That's largely by choice, but some IT departments are much more picky.  If I need to install something, then I open a distinct admin command prompt.

Requiring development mode to be turned on for LLVM dev is similar to requiring Linux devs to build as root (or at least making a few new programs setuid root).