[llvm-dev] "[NFC]" Abuse

Luke Drummond via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 18 04:07:49 PDT 2021

On Thu Jun 17, 2021 at 7:15 PM BST, Mehdi AMINI wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 10:15 AM David Blaikie via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> > Got links to the reviews? Hard to discuss in the abstract.
> >
> > But generally, if it is intended to change observable behavior of the LLVM
> > program (if you have to modify a lit test, that's not NFC, if one could
> > craft a test (that doesn't invoke UB, though that shouldn't be possible
> > through the command line interface, etc) that would need to be modified
> > when the patch is committed - then it's not NFC).
> >

> That's my litmus test: I see NFC is an indication that no test changes and
> none are expected to be provided. The functional behavior of the compiler is
> unchanged. I use NFC on API changes and refactoring when it fits this
> description.

I think this is a bit liberal as it ignores API users - unless I'm
misunderstanding your statement about what you mean by "API changes".

> We could improve the doc maybe?
I'm happy to do this legwork but will hold off until something of a consensus
emerges.

All the Best

Luke
--
Codeplay Software Ltd.
Company registered in England and Wales, number: 04567874