[llvm-dev] Enabling Loop Distribution Pass as default in the pipeline of new pass manager

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 14 05:06:16 PDT 2021

Hi,

> On 5 Jul 2021, at 15:40, Jingu Kang <jingu.kang at arm.com> wrote:
>
> Ping.
>
> Additionally, I was not able to see the pass triggered from llvm-test-suite and spec benchmark except hmmer.

Hm, this seems to indicate that the current version of loop-distribute is not very general at all. I’m not sure if we want to enable the pass by default, as long as it effectively only benefits a single benchmark?

Taking a step back, the question this raises for me is *why* it does not trigger anywhere else at all? I doubt there are no other cases in the test-suite and/or various SPEC benchmarks that would benefit from loop distribution. It would at least be helpful to understand *why* the pass misses them at the moment and what kind of changes are needed to make it more general.