[llvm-dev] LLVM log file

Stefanos Baziotis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 24 05:43:23 PST 2021

Hi  Sudakshina,

> The optimization applied in the optimization pass depends on the source
program; hence, the number of optimizations applied differs from source
program to source program.

"applied" is still ambiguous, at least to me. If by "applied" you mean
"attempted", then no, that does not depend on the source program. It
depends on the optimization level (e.g., O1, O2, ...) or the individual
passes that you may request yourself.
That is, for -O1 for example, there is a predetermined sequence of passes
that _attempt_ to optimize the program and you can see that with the
options I mentioned above (e.g., `-mllvm -opt-bisect-limit=-1`)

If by applied you mean "actually changed the code", then yes, this differs
from program to program. You can see that with `print-changed`, it'll show
you the IR after every transformation that changed your program.

Finally, if you want to see why a transformation could or not change the
code, you can use the related comments about remarks.

Best,
Stefanos

Στις Κυρ, 24 Ιαν 2021 στις 7:24 π.μ., ο/η Sudakshina Dutta <
sudakshina at iitgoa.ac.in> έγραψε: