[llvm-dev] Beginning developer questions

Deep Majumder via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 11 19:42:47 PST 2021

Hello everyone,
I have been studying the LLVM IR and now want to get into LLVM development.
I have a few questions regarding that and I would be really grateful to get
answers for:

1) The LangRef is an excellent guide/reference to the IR. Is there
something similar for the codebase (the core llvm to be specific)? Or do I
have to generate that from the source, in which case how do I do that?
2) I tried building just the llvm sub-project, and that is filling up my
RAM completely during the linking stages, and sends my laptop thrashing. I
am using Ninja. Is there a way to mitigate this? (I am on Ubuntu 20.04
Linux, 8 GM RAM, 8 GM swap on an HDD).
3) VSCode, at least on my laptop, is very sluggish with such large a
project. Is there any recommended development environment for Linux (or at
least something that has been found to work well)?

Thank you for your time!
Regards,
Deep