[llvm-dev] RFC: Allowing scalable vectors in structs to support multiple return values from intrinsics

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 7 10:40:45 PST 2021

I think your approach is probably the best, but I think it's worth
sketching out an alternative approach using token that wouldn't require
verifier changes.

If you want to avoid verifier changes, the token type already gives you
what you want: it is opaque, cannot be loaded and stored or phid, and can
serve as a "value multiplexer". You could invent new intrinsics to extract
the values you need. The source of a token cannot be obscured, so lowering
can always look through a token operand, find the source, and link up the
correct SDValue in codegen. The downside is that all this solution would be
opaque to the mid-level optimizers. They already understand insertvalue and
extractvalue. So, I don't think this is a good way to go, but it's worth
considering.

I think, if we all agree that first class aggregates that can be loaded,
stored, and phi'd, were a historical design mistake, then your original
proposed solution is a step in the direction of removing FCA support.

I wonder if, in the future, it would be possible to auto-upgrade IR that
contains these FCA operations by splitting them into scalar operations, and
we could make the verifier reject all of these undesired operations.