[llvm-dev] Clang crashes while preprocessing

Adrian McCarthy via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 19 08:46:55 PDT 2021

Older versions of clang/llvm relied on DIA to read PDB files on Windows.
It's usually installed with Visual Studio, but perhaps you selected an
option to omit it or the directory isn't in your PATH.

This page talks about where DIA was typically installed by VS 2015:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/debugger/debug-interface-access/getting-started-debug-interface-access-sdk?view=vs-2015

If it's there, then you probably just need to add it to your PATH.  (Using
a Visual Studio command prompt or invoking the vcvarsall.bat file is a
pretty reliable way to make sure everything for VS is set up in your
environment.)

If DIA is not there, you might want to spin up your VS installer and see if
there's an option to install it.

LLVM has a "native" PDB reader that tools can use instead of relying on
DIA, but I don't remember how well that worked in LLVM 6 (if at all).  Most
tools now default to the native reader, but for transitional versions, some
tools had a command line option to select the native PDB reader.  All
(almost all?) of them also checked for an environment variable:
LLDB_USE_NATIVE_PDB_READER=TRUE