[llvm-dev] Using MSan as dso

Mitch Phillips via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 7 12:09:35 PDT 2021

Hi Marko,

Uninstrumented code under ASan leads to false negatives. Under MSan,
uninstrumented code leads to false positives. MSan is thus not suitable to
be used as a preloaded DSO.

If you're really, really, extremely dedicated and willing to annotate
<https://clang.llvm.org/docs/MemorySanitizer.html#blacklist> *every* instance
where memory that's initialized in uninstrumented code flows to
instrumented code, then you might be able to find some bugs. But it's worth
bearing in mind that usage of MSan in this way is warranty-voiding.