[llvm-dev] Timeout tests timing out

Dan Liew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 16 21:31:30 PDT 2020

Hi David,

Unfortunately writing a reliable test is tricky given that the
functionality we're trying to test involves timing. I would advise
against disabling the test entirely because it actually tests
functionality that people use. I'd suggest bumping up the time limits.
This is what I've done in the past. See

commit 6dfcc78364fa3e8104d6e6634733863eb0bf4be8
Author: Dan Liew <dan at su-root.co.uk>
Date:   Tue May 22 15:06:29 2018 +0000

    [lit] Try to make `shtest-timeout.py` test more reliable by using a
    larger timeout value. This really isn't very good because it will
    still be susceptible to machine performance.

    While we are here also fix a bug in validation of
    `maxIndividualTestTime` where previously it wasn't checked if the
    type was an int.

    rdar://problem/40221572

    llvm-svn: 332987

HTH,