[llvm-dev] Making library calls for obj2yaml functionalities

Rahman Lavaee via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 16 14:00:40 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Following up on
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-July/143512.html, and
https://reviews.llvm.org/D85408, we would like to consider a design which
allows external tools to read the structured contents of the .bb_addr_map
section with library calls into an LLVM library. At the same time, we need
to have tools/obj2yaml tests in place for bb_addr_map. So it sounds like
the perfect place to do it. However, the current structure does not expose
the obj2yaml functionalities under lib/ObjectYAML.

In general, there seems to be an inconsistency regarding how obj2yaml and
yaml2obj tools are structured. The latter has a nice wrapper which calls
environment-dependent functions under lib/ObjectYAML, but the former has
environment-dependent source files under tools/obj2yaml (elf2yaml.cc,
coff2yaml.cc, etc).

I wanted to reach out to ask if there is any alternative or get an idea
about the amount of refactoring work that is required to make the structure
friendlier.

bests,