[llvm-dev] BUG: complete misunterstanding of the MS-ABI

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 8 11:57:29 PDT 2020

The code that you have has a large `#ifndef __clang__` block in it, and IMO
that explains the ABI difference.

As you note, MSVC does not have native support for 128 bit integers, so
there is no reason for Clang to attempt to be ABI compatible.

The __uint128_t arguments are passed indirectly because MSVC has a rule
that requires arguments larger than 64 bits to be passed indirectly by
address. I believe exceptions to that rule, such as vector arguments, are
made on a case-by-case basis. No such rule exists for return values, so we
get the usual i128 handling for x86 instead.

---

I see that you are interested in using compiler-rt, presumably on Windows,
and maybe from MSVC compiled objects. I think the proper fix for your use
case is to change compiler-rt to use a union when passing these types by
value.