[llvm-dev] LLD: Can we make --warn-backrefs the default?

Fāng-ruì Sòng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 1 17:34:42 PDT 2020

On 2020-09-01, Petr Hosek wrote:
>I see the GNU ld behavior as a limitation, not as a feature, as Peter Smith
>also pointed out in https://reviews.llvm.org/D86762. While it can be argued
>that there are certain cases where it can help detect layering
>violations as you mentioned in your change, I'm not sure how valuable that
>is in practice. Every case I've encountered so far either in Chrome or in
>Fuchsia was a valid use case, most commonly interceptors. The solution
>has always been the same, wrap all libraries in --start-group/--stop-group
>and it's what most projects do by default to avoid dealing with these
>issues, see for example [Chromium](
>https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:build/toolchain/gcc_toolchain.gni;l=409).
>In our case, compatibility with linkers on other platforms is more
>important than compatibility with GNU ld, so I'd prefer to keep the current
>behavior. Projects that care about compatibility with GNU ld can use
>--warn-backrefs.

I totally understand that some users may not want to deal with GNU ld
compatibility:) I'll then question about Chromium's addition of -z defs:
https://crrev.com/843583006 :)

-z defs is like a layering checking tool for shared objects while
--warn-backrefs is for archives. For performance, ABI concerns and ease
of deployment, many projects tend to build their own components as
archives instead of shared objects. In this sense --warn-backrefs will
probably be more useful than -z defs.

(
TIL lorder and tsort were created to define an order of archives in
early versions of Unix. https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/tsort-background.html
It seems that the article missed the point that proper library layering is still useful
)