[llvm-dev] Notes from dbg.value coffee chat

Cazalet-Hyams, Orlando via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 9 09:38:48 PDT 2020

Hi Reid,

Thanks for sharing this. I plan to work on improving debug-info for variables
living in memory as my next "project" so I am very interested to hear with what
others have to say about "Idea 1".

There is one part of the idea that confuses me. You say we could "keep the
dbg.declare instructions", but I don't see where dbg.declare instructions - at
least with their current semantics - fit into the design if the frontend is
emitting dbg.values after every assignment. Could you please expand on this part
a little?

Thanks,
Orlando