[llvm-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: preferred way to return expected values

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 1 12:00:56 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 2:08 AM George Rimar <grimar at accesssoftek.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I've performed an experiment with the code below at godbolt.
> (used -O2, https://godbolt.org/z/nY95nh)
>
> ```
> #include <vector>
> #include "llvm/Support/Error.h"
>
> llvm::Expected<std::vector<int>> foo() {
>  std::vector<int> V;
>  V.push_back(0);
>  return V;
> }
> ```

I think the easiest and portable way to test this functionality would be
more like:

#include <memory>
struct base { virtual ~base(); };
struct derived : base { };
std::unique_ptr<base> f() {
  std::unique_ptr<derived> d;
  return d;
}

That shows whether the compiler's treating the return of a temporary as
movable, even when the types aren't an exact match.

Clang 3.5 does not support this conversion: https://godbolt.org/z/5nsWM8
GCC 5.1 does support it: https://godbolt.org/z/cvd3d6
& I'm not sure which MSVC version on godbolt would be "MSVC 2017" that the
LLVM docs refer to.

> If I understand the produced output correctly, then results are:
>
> gcc 7.5: creates a copy.
> gcc 8.1: uses move.
>
> clang < 6.0: doesn't compile.

That's interesting - I wonder if LLVM's documentation is out of date, which
claims the minimum required Clang is 3.5:
https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#host-c-toolchain-both-compiler-and-standard-library

> clang >= 6.0: uses move.
>
> MSVS: was unable to compile, complains about "llvm/Support/Error.h" header.
> I am using MSVS 2017 locally and it calls move constructor of Expected<>
> though,
> so I think all MSVS >= 2017 (at least) should be fine.

May be something to do with which compiler the llvm library provided by
godbolt is compiled with? which might make the above results not quite
right (& why testing with the non-llvm-specific example might be clearer)

Looks like we would need to bump the minimum Clang up from 3.5 to at least
3.9 to allow returns with implicit moves that include conversions.
- Dave