[llvm-dev] wasteful cmake defaults

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 17 14:35:58 PST 2020

Am Di., 17. Nov. 2020 um 12:46 Uhr schrieb Luke Drummond via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:

> On Tue Nov 17, 2020 at 6:37 PM GMT, Min-Yih Hsu wrote:
>
> > Just trying to understand: Are you suggesting a way to have a “-O0”
> > build without all the debug information?
> >
> Exactly.

What is such a build useful for the average user? If changing the
default, I think that CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release is what most
non-developer users want.

You mention CI systems, but I'd expect CI maintainers to know they can
set CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE. Does -O0 even build faster than -O1?

Michael