[llvm-dev] Code size BoF Minutes

Fernando Magno Quintao Pereira via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 15 07:02:11 PST 2020

Dear LLVMers,

concerning a few points of the discussion about code-size reduction
(Minutes available at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kDsbFDtkWLceR-Y63ez04CBfvhbDN8RxWV3xXwaNUC0/edit?usp=sharing):

> Do we need different levels like -Os1, -Os2, -Os3?

Together with a colleague, Anderson Faustino, we spend some time
finding optimization sequences that are good for code-size reduction.
This report gives you 22 such sequences, all short, that tend to
improve upon Os or Oz on typical benchmarks:

http://lac.dcc.ufmg.br/pubs/TechReports/LaC_TechReport022020.pdf.

> What code size benchmarks can we use to measure patches?

I'd suggest AnghaBench (http://cuda.dcc.ufmg.br/angha). I've talked
about it here before. It's a collection with One Million compilable C
programs. That's the collection that we have used to find the
optimization sequences in that report. We shall be presenting a paper
about it at CGO next February.

Kind regards,

Fernando