[llvm-dev] Range lists, zero-length functions, linker gc

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 28 15:41:32 PDT 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 2:52 PM Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com>
wrote:

> As has been mentioned elsewhere, Sony generally fixes up references from
> debug info to stripped functions (of any length) using -1, because that’s a
> less-likely-to-be-real address than 0x0 or 0x1.  (0x0 is a typical base
> address for shared libraries, I’d think using it has the potential to
> mislead various consumers.)  For .debug_ranges we use -2, because both a
> 0/0 pair and a -1/-1 pair have a reserved meaning in that section.

Any harm in using -2 everywhere, for consistency?

(also, I had a silly idea, but what would happen if we added a CU attribute
with an address value that was a reference to a weak always-unused symbol,
that way the linker would fix it up with whatever its preferred magic value
was, and the consumer would then know what the magic value was that
represented dead code? (though this would only work if the value were used
consistently everywhere - which is zero for gold/lld (well, almost... you
can still create situations where a non-zero value is used even for a
low_pc), but wouldn't work for binutils ld (1 in debug_ranges, 0 elsewhere)
or Sony (-2 in debug_ranges, -1 elsewhere)... - so, wouldn't actually work
for any producer currently, so maybe there's little value in that as a
feature))

>  If you’re looking only at zero-length functions, you can stop there; but
> I’m not sure why stopping there solves much of a real problem, as
> zero-length functions seem like a weird corner case.

They're the case that breaks existing usage by terminating the range list
early - the other existing usage seems to be fine with "resolve to addend"
strategy that lld and gold use - in that it moves most dead/deduplicated
functions outside the executable range and so consumers never come asking
for "what code is at instruction 5" because they're never executing code at
a pc of 5. But, yes, this existing solution doesn't work once you have code
mapped into low address spaces or have utterly massive functions that might
have a length that would reach into the executable address space even when
their start is remapped to zero.

> Linkers know how to strip dead functions (gc) or deduplicate them (icf,
> COMDAT) and people do this all the time, in some cases (COMDAT) without
> explicitly asking for it, so non-zero-length functions seem like the much
> more interesting case.  In that situation, -1 (or -2) seems like a much
> wiser choice of blessed-as-not-real address, versus 0x0 or 0x1.
>

> Stripping non-zero-length functions does mean you have to care about more
> sections.  For example .debug_locs would want to be fixed up the same way
> as .debug_ranges, not because a debugger would care but so that dumpers
> would not run into the 0/0 brick wall.

Yep - in theory a consumer could actually use a loclist across multiple
sections (if a global variable got hoisted into a register for a function
for instance), but I don't know of any producers doing this today - until
then, yeah, it's just a dumping problem and ld.bfd does produce DWARF that
has that problem (because it resolves both relocations to dead code
(begin/end of a range) to zero in all sections except debug_ranges, so
terminates the loclist list early) - binutils objdump avoids dumping the
following corrupted fragment by only dumping hunks of debug_loc starting at
places referenced from debug_info. Without debug_info it won't dump
anything from debug_loc - and if the references from debug_info, parsed
until the 0,0 terminator don't cover the whole debug_loc section, it prints
messages saying there are "gaps".

Agreed that you'd want debug_loc to have the same special handling as
debug_ranges if it has special handling. Though ideally we'd pick a value
that works equally everywhere? (-2, by the sounds of it)

> We also fix up lengths in .debug_aranges to zero, although there might be
> history behind that tactic that I’m not aware of; it seems like it ought to
> be unnecessary, if consumers are aware of the special address(es).

Yeah, no idea about debug_aranges... I'd have thought it'd be fine with the
same approach as debug_ranges, but I haven't looked at debug_aranges in a
long time.

I guess the only remaining question is: Since it's possible to have code on
some systems down at address zero, or close enough to it that [0, length)
might overlap with real exxecutable code addresses - does anyone know of
the inverse: where code is mapped up near uint32 max? Such that that usage
wouldn't be able to sacrifice uint32 max - 1 to use as a blessed value here?

- Dave