[llvm-dev] Emitting aligned nlist_64 structures for Mach-O in MC

Shoaib Meenai via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 26 15:11:38 PDT 2020

I looked into this further. ld64 has a macho_nlist abstraction over the various underlying nlist structures [1]. On x86-64, the P::getP referenced in n_value will resolve to [2], which in turn goes to [3], which calls OSReadLittleInt64. On a little endian machine, OSReadLittleEndian just calls _OSReadInt64 [4], which in turn does a pointer arithmetic and cast and then dereferences the pointer [5]. As far as I can see, this will invoke UB for an unaligned int64, unless ld64 is built against a different version of OSReadLittleEndian, or unless I’m missing something.

[1] https://github.com/apple-opensource/ld64/blob/fd3feabb0a1eb18ab5d7910f3c3a5eed99cef6ab/src/abstraction/MachOFileAbstraction.hpp#L1283-L1304
[2] https://github.com/apple-opensource/ld64/blob/fd3feabb0a1eb18ab5d7910f3c3a5eed99cef6ab/src/abstraction/FileAbstraction.hpp#L137
[3] https://github.com/apple-opensource/ld64/blob/fd3feabb0a1eb18ab5d7910f3c3a5eed99cef6ab/src/abstraction/FileAbstraction.hpp#L96
[4] https://github.com/apple/darwin-xnu/blob/a449c6a3b8014d9406c2ddbdc81795da24aa7443/libkern/libkern/OSByteOrder.h#L246