[llvm-dev] New LLVM backend for Renesas RL78 MCU

Sebastian Perta via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 26 11:27:10 PDT 2020

Hi David,

>>Ah, so this is a commercially backed project?
Initially it wasn’t. I started to do this in my own free time and after I got something which I could demonstrate I can be much better than what we currently have with GCC it became part of my day to day job.

>>But relatively small? (are you the only engineer working on this?)
Yes I’m the only one working on this.

>>It's never a clear-cut thing and I don't mean to pry (there's a weird balance between having some context for why these things >>are being worked on, how likely they are to continue to be invested in, etc - versus accepting that companies have their own >>priorities, some private objectives, etc).
No worries I’m very happy to provide any information necessary. I really want the port to accepted upstream.
RL78 MCUs are part of the Renesas Product Longevity program https://www.renesas.com/eu/en/support/products-common/product-longevity-program-plp.html.
The majority of current RL78 devices have the termination date set as “December 2033”, and a few “March 2026”. Also RL78 is under active development: new devices (which a much later termination date) are being released all the time.
So this is very likely to continue for a very long time.

Best Regards,
Sebastian

Renesas Electronics Europe GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: Carsten Jauch, Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered office: Duesseldorf, Arcadiastrasse 10, 40472 Duesseldorf, Germany, Handelsregister/Commercial Register: Duesseldorf, HRB 3708 USt-IDNr./Tax identification no.: DE 119353406 WEEE-Reg.-Nr./WEEE reg. no.: DE 14978647