[llvm-dev] [RFC] Refactor class hierarchy of VectorType in the IR

Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 21 14:22:21 PDT 2020

John,

While I’m at a loss to find a documented policy, I recall this thread (http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-February/139207.html) where this claim was made and not disputed. The expected real benefits to this change are: 1) The names now match the semantics 2) It is now statically impossible to accidentally get the fixed number of elements from a scalable vector and 3) It forces everybody to fix their broken code. If we provided stability guarantees to downstream and out-of-tree codebases, then I might not agree that 3 is a benefit, but my understanding is that we do not provide this guarantee.

> … Probably 99% of the code using VectorType semantically requires it to be a fixed-width vector.

This code is all broken already. I don’t think supporting common misuse of APIs in a codebase that does not provide stability guarantees is something we should be doing.

> The generalization of VectorType to scalable vector types was a representational shortcut that should never have been allowed

I agree. Unfortunately it happened, and our choices are to fix it or accept the technical debt forever.

> the burden of generalization should usually fall on the people who need to use the generalization, and otherwise we should aim to keep APIs stable when there’s no harm to it.

The burden of creating the generalization should be placed on those who need it, I agree. However, once the generalization is in place, the burden is on everybody to use it correctly. The reason I’ve undertaken this refactor is because I found myself playing whack-a-mole with people adding new broken code after the fact. The previous API was very easy to misuse, so I don’t blame those people.

> Are you actually auditing and testing them all to work for scalable vector types, or are you just fixing the obvious compile failures?
Everywhere that VectorType::getNumElements() is being called, we are either changing the code to cast to FixedVectorType, or we are updating the code to handle scalable vectors correctly. If the call site does not have test coverage with scalable vectors, this test coverage is being added. Even for obviously correct transformations such as `VectorType::get(SomeTy, SomeVecTy->getNumElements())` -> `VectorType::get(SomeTy, SomeVecTy->getElementCount())`, I have been required in code review to provide test coverage. We are taking this seriously.

> “Vector” has a traditional and dominant meaning as a fixed-width SIMD type, and the fact that you’ve introduced a generalization doesn’t change that. Clang supports multiple kinds of pointer, but we still reserve clang::PointerType for C pointers instead of making it an abstract superclass, thus letting our sense of logic introduce a million bugs through accidental generalization throughout the compiler.
Various languages implemented on top of LLVM have various different pointer types. However, the LLVM IR language only has one pointer type. The LLVM IR language has two types of vectors, and I think it’s reasonable to model them as a class hierarchy in this manner. I’m not familiar with the clang::PointerType situation, so I cannot pass judgement on it.

Thanks,
   Christopher Tetreault