[llvm-dev] LV: predication

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 21 14:13:39 PDT 2020

> The compare of interest is clear, I think. It compares a Vector Induction Variable with a broadcasted loop invariant value, aka the BTC. Obtaining the latter operand is the goal, clearly, but to do so, the former operand needs to be recognized as a VIV.

Yep, exactly that.

> What if this compare is not generated by LV’s fold-tail-by-masking transformation?

Not sure I completely follow this, because the whole point is that @llvm.get.active.lane.mask() will be generated by the LV and its tail-folding and masking. If a programmer is interfering and doing a manual fold, it is okay if the LV tail folding doesn't get triggered (bad luck), but of course we shouldn't be emitting it incorrectly.

I feel that this is a slightly different discussion than yesterday. I.e., we don't need to discuss correctness because that should always be the case, and if we generate incorrect code than that is a problem, but that is not a problem related to the proposed @llvm.get.active.lane.mask() intrinsic. But quickly checking the example we have:

%vec.ind = phi <4 x i32> [ <i32 0, i32 1, i32 2, i32 3>, %vector.ph ], [ %vec.ind.next, %vector.body ]
%4 = icmp ult <4 x i32> %vec.ind, <i32 998, i32 998, i32 998, i32 998>

and everything looks good here. Using the change D79100, we don't emit @llvm.get.active.lane.mask()
because we don't exactly have the case VIV <= BTC, here VIV is a vector phi and looks like this follows a different code path in the vectoriser. This is definitely a case we want to support too, but that's a different story.

A previous concern was this inhibiting other things, but I don't see that. What we are changing is this original icmp:

%active.lane.mask =<4 x i1> icmp ult <4 x i32> %induction, <4 x i32> %broadcast.splat
%wide.masked.load = call <4 x i32> @llvm.masked.load.v4i32.p0v4i32(<4 x i32>* %3, i32 4, <4 x i1> %active.lane.mask, <4 x i32> undef)

with this:

%active.lane.mask = call <4 x i1> @llvm.get.active.lane.mask.v4i32(<4 x i32> %induction, <4 x i32> %broadcast.splat)

This @llvm.get.active.lane.mask() has very straightforward semantics, it is just a simple translation of the icmp, and also importantly, it is feeding another intrinsic: the masked load/store.
As  side node, after Simon's feedback we will change/simplify @llvm.get.active.lane.mask(), and let it operand on 2 scalar operands (the first induction value, and the scalar BTC, not splat), because that would help other cases too, but none of this changes anything what I mentioned before, but could even simplify things more.

> If you can elaborate on the complicated cases and the difficulty they entail, possibly with concrete IR examples, a general robust way of recognizing the desired compare could perhaps be found. How are doubly nested loops or reductions related here?

Our pattern match based approach breaks down for the following kind of examples. They are real-life filters and codes that we are looking at, and this one is slightly simplified example of that:

    for (i = 0; i < N; i++) {
        Sum = 0;
        M = Size - i;
        for (j = 0; j < M; j++)
            Sum += Input[j] * Input[j+i];
        Output[i] = Sum;
    }

We are vectorising the inner-loop and we need to know its BTC. Its loop upperbound M depends on outerloop i, which results in a recursive SCEV expression.

    %trip.count.minus.1 = sub i32 %1, 1
    %broadcast.splatinsert = insertelement <4 x i32> undef, i32 %trip.count.minus.1, i32 0
    %broadcast.splat = shufflevector <4 x i32> %broadcast.splatinsert, <4 x i32> undef, <4 x i32> zeroinitializer
    br label %vector.body
  vector.body:
    ..
    %4 = icmp ule <4 x i32> %induction, %broadcast.splat
     call <4 x i16> @llvm.masked.load.v4i16.p0v4i16(<4 x i16>* %6, i32 2, <4 x i1> %4,

Starting pattern matching from the icmp and %broadcast.splat, which is the BTC, we find %trip.count.minus.1 as the inner loop trip count, but we need to be certain about this. This is where we use SCEV, and we check whether the pattern matched IR definition  matches with SCEV information. For simple 1d loops, the SCEV expression for the trip count has this general form:

where %Elems is the scalar trip count. For the example above that means if %Elems == %trip.count.minus.1, we know that we found the right trip count, and that's what we will use. But for this 2d example

First of all, this is a recursive SCEV, but problematic is that %S simply doesn't correspond to our inner loop trip count. We could still get it, but has all the disadvantages I mentioned earlier already, and it is just a bit horrible, so we need something robust, and a simple way of passing this information on from the vectoriser to the backend.

I still might have skipped a few details here, but this is what it boils down to, and hopefully you've got a good impression of the problem.

Cheers,
Sjoerd.