[llvm-dev] RFC: Deleting git-svn folder (git-llvm, git-svnrevert, git-svnup)

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 12 14:00:50 PDT 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 1:50 PM Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> @Zola, Eric,
>

> I really feel the communication and reasoning here is problematic.
>
> From my perspective, you removed stuff "we don't need", ignoring whether
> it is used, and then let people figure out how to deal with the result.
>
> What I most dislike about the process most is how questions and concerns
> are then ignored or played down.

Honestly, I think Zola did more than I'd have expected to be done for this
- sending out the proposal (to llvm-dev, not just llvm-commits, even) &
waiting a week for feedback.

Suggesting that LLVM developers (the, apparently rather small (based on
feedback from before/after this change) number of them) migrate to the
standard git functionality for contributing to git projects seems like it's
in line with discussions I recall seeing before and after the git migration
- that the git-llvm scripts were migration tools (there was some discussion
about whether they might be used for more post-migration, to enforce
certain constraints, etc - but those ideas were not accepted/moved forward
with).

I have some concern about adding these scripts back in as they may lead to
greater divergence in developer experience and/or become less relevant over
time and a weird thing for newcomers to stumble over, perhaps. But I don't
feel /that/ strongly, if other folks particularly prefer using them, they
seem mostly harmless.

- Dave