[llvm-dev] [pre-merge testing] improvements + new Windows builds

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 11 22:57:01 PDT 2020

On May 11, 2020, at 8:03 AM, Christian Kühnel via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> After we launched the pre-merge testing for all users on Phabricator in March [1],
> we’ve been working on a few improvements we’re launching now. They have been in
> beta testing for a while.

Hi Christian, Mikhail & other contributors,

Thank you for driving this, I really appreciate the “smoke test” that the presubmits provide - this has saved me from submitting embarrassing bugs that didn’t affect the config I was testing.

> Improvements
> ============
> Here’s an overview of the changes, the details are described in the
> user documentation [3]:
> * Windows builds and tests were enabled for all users, using
>   Visual Studio 2019.
> * To save time and resources and hide unrelated failures, we’re only building
>   and testing the projects that were affected by changes to certain folders in
>   the monorepo.
> * We also enabled more projects to give better test coverage.
> * The builds are now split into 3 separate steps, visible to Phabricator:
>   1. Apply the patch from Phabricator and store the result in a branch on
>      GitHub [2]. This branch is then used in steps 2 and 3.
>   2. Run the Linux builds and tests.
>   3. Run the Windows builds and tests, in parallel to step 2.

Wow! Windows configs are some of the most challenging to keep working, thank you for integrating these!

-Chris