[llvm-dev] Passing inormation from pass to lowering

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 28 09:42:06 PDT 2020

I would encourage you to look at the "cfguard" bundle added for Windows
Control Flow Integrity. AsmPrinter is probably far too late for the
transform you want to do. You probably need to implement it somewhere in
call lowering, so assuming this is for x86, you would implement this in
X86ISelLowering::LowerCall.

I think it would be less invasive to attach your metadata to the existing
call instructions, and then change code generation later, rather than
replacing the IR instructions completely.

The implementation for cfguard is mostly here:
http://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/d157a9bc8ba1085cc4808c6941412322a7fd884e