[llvm-dev] Efficient Green Thread Context-Switching

Joshua Thomas Wise via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 27 12:58:03 PDT 2020

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to be dishonest. I was just repeating one of the comparisons given by the research paper. Regardless, even setjmp() uses a structure of 148 bytes in size (on my machine). The main point is that with compiler support, many context switches can be easily reduced to just a few instructions and only 8 byte of memory, and even in the worst case they will outperform setjmp() by a factor of 2. That’s very significant for modern servers which could expect millions of contexts to exist simultaneously. It would also really help small IOT processors to multitask, which is something they’re normally bad at. I think the use-cases and efficiency achieved is compelling (especially as computing becomes more and more parallel/concurrent).