[llvm-dev] Instruction selection phase

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 26 18:57:15 PDT 2020

This transform is done by visitSDIV in DAGCombiner.cpp. Its using a trick
to optimize division by constant. The basic idea is to replace it by a
multiply by constant and a shift right with a few extra instructions needed
to handle signedness correctly. Since division is usually a slow operation
turning it into multiplies, shifts, adds, etc. are usually a better option.
I believe you can disable this behavior by returning true in an override of
TargetLowering::isIntDivCheap in your target.

~Craig