[llvm-dev] [libcxx-dev] Bumping the CMake requirement for libc++ and libc++abi

Neil Nelson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 26 10:07:39 PDT 2020

Not sure what the rush is. Ubuntu 20.04 will be available in a month
with cmake 3.16.3 which appears to be recent enough to handle the issues
indicated. Those on older distributions should upgrade as soon as they
can and though that may take a few months, getting that coordinated all
around does not seem that unreasonable.

The idea of downloading and installing individual pieces of software
that are not verified through the distribution process has been
discouraged for over a decade. Modern computer systems are far too
complex including time and money to be taking unnecessary risks. The
argument is never how easy it is to turn your computer into a boat
anchor. It is what are the risks against the gain.

The gain could well be worth it. But without recognizing the risks there
is no argument for gain. That others take risks we can avoid is not a
good argument.

As an aside, a few days ago my new, custom built computer would not
complete boot when it was just fine the day before and I was thinking:
was it the Xubuntu update, was it my change to fstab, did my nvme ssd
die, did I just toast several weeks of work, will my computer live
again. It is not a happy situation.

Neil Nelson