[llvm-dev] Bumping the CMake requirement for libc++ and libc++abi

Pavel Labath via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 25 09:33:14 PDT 2020

If we're going to be updating the cmake version requirements llvm-wide
(and in particular, if we're going to make a policy out of that), I
think that should be done in a new RFC thread with an appropriate
subject -- people may not notice this discussion because they don't
follow libc++ and ignore any discussions relating to it.

As for the policy itself, I can't say I am fan of automatically bumping
version requirements, just because. A similar idea was proposed when we
were bumping the compiler versions, and was eventually rejected in favor
of the process described at
<https://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#updating-toolchain-requirements>.
The current process involves proposing a specific version and discussing
the trade-offs implied by it.

Now, bumping the cmake version is not as involved as bumping the
compiler, but maybe it would be good if the process for doing it was
similar? If for nothing else, then for consistency?

regards,
Pavel