[llvm-dev] Bountysource campaign for the M68000 backend

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 25 04:31:57 PDT 2020

Hi John,

I don't speak for the entire community, but I believe that there are
likely to be two potential issues:

1. How different is M68K to modern architectures (reluctantly including
x86)?  Will this add any maintenance burden to the target-agnostic code
generator?  If so, how much and will there be contributors willing to
help carry that to retain M68K support?
2. Who is going to commit to maintaining the port?  For example, the
original version used SelectionDAG, which will eventually be phased out
in favour of GlobalISel.  This involves some quite major changes to back
ends, which is why back ends are only committed if they have a code
owner who is willing to provide long-term maintenance.

I don't think that a one-off donation mechanism is a great way of
getting someone to do this long-term, but if you have someone in mind
who is willing to do it but needs some seed capital to get it into a
good state initially, that may work.

LLVM, in general, is pretty happy to remove things that are slowing down
development and have no active maintainers, so if the M68K maintainer
went away there is a danger that the back end would be dropped.  How
would backers of the bounty program react if the code were added, the
bounty paid, and then the code removed a year later?  I think I'd be
pretty annoyed if I'd paid into something like that on the assumption
that I'd have an LLVM back end, but end up with an LLVM 11 and LLVM 12
back end that is then not in LLVM 13.

If you can come up with a plan for long-term maintenance (ideally a
small group of people willing to say 'we will do code review of the
initial implementation and then maintain it'), then I think this would
be a great contribution.

David