[llvm-dev] [GSoC] Improve parallelism-aware analyses and optimizations

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 24 16:28:22 PDT 2020

Hi Nader,

I think it is cool that you are interested and it's good you looked
through the background already.

There is no strict requirement to complete tasks before an official
proposal but we always encourage people to get in touch with the list
first, which you did, and also get used to the development process we
have. That is often done best with a simple task.

One thing you could look at is the TODO in OpenMPOpt.cpp:511 and again
557. The problem is that a call graph SCC pass is only allowed
(=supposed to) look the given SCC, the transitive callers, and
everything transitively called. I called this set of functions a
"ModuleSlice". While we don't strictly need a better ModuleSlice set in
OpenMPOpt just yet, we will soon. Also, the computation of the
ModuleSlice set for a given set of functions should be generic as we
need exactly the same logic in other CGSCC passes, e.g. the Attributor.
There it should directly show improved behavior and resolve various
FIXMEs in the tests.

Does this make sense? Feel free to reply with questions.

Cheers,
   Johannes

P.S.
   Check the llvm documentation on how to contribute, how to use
   phabricator, and coding style ;)