[llvm-dev] RISC-V LLVM sync-up call 19 Mar 2020

Evandro Menezes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 20 12:09:17 PDT 2020

Hi, Sam.

> Thank you for writing this proposal.
>
> I presume you have seen the FDPIC proposal on the RISC-V sw-dev mailing list [1]. I am keen that any gp-relative relocations that could be shared between the two proposals are shared and compatible with each other - I think this will make a major difference to maintainability and our ability to document these details.

Yes, I have and, at the time it came out, I was designing this code model.  I'm glad that someone else also thought of the GP relative relocations.  Code reuse is always desirable.

> Am I right in thinking your proposal only has one value for `gp` for the whole program, and thus it does not need to be saved or loaded in function prologs and epilogs?

As is current the case, it is callee saved.  Of course, since DSOs have their own small data area, if a function in a DSO built for the compact code model refers to any global data, then it needs to save, restore and setup the GP within it.

Thank you,

__
Evandro Menezes ◊ SiFive ◊ Austin, TX