[llvm-dev] Reach Out about Module Infrastructure Multi-Threading

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 17 22:06:59 PDT 2020

(this thread seems to have been split from the original thread in gmail at
least - which might make it hard to keep track of the context)

Ah, it was a different thread:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-March/139606.html - might be
best to pick up from that thread instead of starting a new one.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:07 PM Nicholas Krause via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 3/17/20 6:16 PM, Johannes Doerfert wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> Apologies for the wait, everything right now is going crazy..
>
> Compiler Folks are very busy people as there aren't as much of us
> unfortunately so no need to
> apologize. I've yet to heard from someone on the GCC side and will wait
> until after GCC 11
> is released due to this. Also not to mention the health issues of
> Coronavirus-19.
>

> I think we should early in move this conversation on the llvm Dev list but
> generally speaking we can see three options here:
> 1) parallelize single passes or a subset of passes that are known to not
> interfer, e.g. the attributor,
> 2) parallelize analysis pass execution before a transformation that needs
> them,
>
> 3) investigate what needs to be done for a parallel execution of many
> passes, e.g. How can we avoid races on shared structure such as the
> constant pool.
>
> I was researching this on and off for the last few months in terms of
> figuring out how to make the pass manager itself async. Its not easy and
> I'm not even
> sure if that's possible. Not sure about GIMPLE as I would have to ask the
> middle end maintainer on the GCC side but LLVM IR does not seem to have
> shared
> state detection or the core classes and same for the back ends. So yes
> this would interest me.
>
> The first place to start with is which data structures are shared for
> sure. The biggest ones seem to be basic blocks and function definitions in
> terms of shared state, as
> those would be shared by passes running on each function.  We should start
> looking at implementing here locks or ref counting here first if your OK
> with that.
> It also allows me  to understand a little more concrete the linkage
> between the core classes as would be required for multi threading LLVM. In
> addition,
> it allows us to look into partitioning issues with threads at the same
> thing in terms of how to do it.

As was discussed on the previous thread - generally the assumption is that
one wouldn't try to run two function optimizations on the same function at
the same time, but, for instance - run function optimizations on unrelated
functions at the same time (or CGSCC passes on distinct CGSCCs). But this
is difficult in LLVM IR because use lists are shared - so if two functions
use the same global variable or call the same 3rd function, optimizing out
a function call from each of those functions becomes a write to shared
state when trying to update the use list of that 3rd function. MLIR
apparently has a different design in this regard that is intended to be
more amenable to these situations.