[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 17 03:11:39 PDT 2020

> On Mar 17, 2020, at 03:06, Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/16/2020 10:13 AM, Florian Hahn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On Mar 16, 2020, at 14:43, Tom Stellard via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've also implemented a notification system using GitHub actions that will make
>>> it possible to subscribe to individual issue tags, so we would enable this on Monday
>>> as well.
>>
>> Does this include sending emails for new bugs to llvm-bugs like bugzilla does? I am not sure how many people use llvm-bugs, but at least for me it is how I keep up with new bug reports.
>>

> Sending email to llvm-bugs was not planned.  Can you use GitHub notifications instead?

I do not have much experience with Github issues, so there might be an easy way to get notifications for new issues only I am not aware of. If that’s possible I guess that would work too. But IMO it would be great if we could keep llvm-bugs alive and working for Github issues as well, to smoothen the transition and to ensure that no issues fall through the cracks. A side benefit of having the emails is that they are easy to view offline & on mobile/search/organize.

Is there any information available for the notification system you mentioned earlier? The default GitHub notifications for llvm-project seem extremely verbose: notification in Github UI for each new issue as well as each interaction on an issue/PR/commit. Assuming 100+ interactions per day on bugzilla, I think it will be very hard to keep up with the notifications.

I think it would help with the transition if we would have a document describing how to migrate common issue interactions, like
* how to get (email) notifications for a single issue (CC on bugzilla)
* how to get (email) notifications for new issues only (current llvm-bugs)
* how to get (email) notifications for a component/label

Cheers,
Florian