[llvm-dev] Allowing PRs on GitHub for some subprojects

Louis Dionne via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 5 08:30:14 PST 2020

> [...]
>

>> Like Christian talked about, for me it's all about pre-commit testing. I believe pre-commit testing is a widely shared desire among this community. However, how badly it is missed depends on sub-projects, because they have different realities. For example, in libc++:
>>
>> 1. We have a lot of first-time contributors, which means that the maintainers end up shepherding many contributions. In particular, this often means fixing small breakage following their changes, which can be difficult for them because they can't reproduce the failures locally, and they might not even know where to look. While these contributors can submit valuable improvements and bug fixes, we can't expect them to fix every last platform that we support in the current state of things -- it's hard, it's boring, and it's stressful.
>>
>> 2. Our testing matrix is very large, and interactions between different configurations (usually #ifs/#elses) is very subtle. This means the rate of mistake-on-first-try is, I think, higher in libc++ than in most other LLVM projects. Even with careful review, I find that a large percentage of changes end up breaking something somewhere, and I have to fix it (usually quickly enough to avoid reverting).
>>
>> As a result, the lack of pre-commit testing is actively harming the health of libc++ as a project. It might be true for other projects as well, but I can only speak for libc++ because that's where I have first hand experience.
>>
>> What changed recently that makes this suddenly critical compared to the previous years?
>
> At the risk of oversharing, this has been my biggest source of pain and frustration since I've became a libc++ maintainer. It's always been a problem since I started about 2 years ago. I can still feel the hurt of fixing the ripples of landing aligned allocation in libc++ in 2018, which lasted for weeks and weeks (on and off).
>
> Last week, I spent about 4 days fixing the ripples of a high-quality contribution that happened to break some bot configurations (and some botless ones too). That was both very stressful and frustrating, and I swore to myself this was going to be the last week like that.
>

>> Unfortunately, we currently don't have a good way of doing pre-commit testing on Phabricator AFAICT
>>

>> I thought we do now? I got a bunch of libcxx failing on my revision a few weeks ago.
>
> My understanding is that Christian was the one to setup the pre-merge testing we have currently (thanks!). And he says:
>
>     > This is soooooo much easier to set up and maintain than the Phabricator integration
>
> Of course it is easier to do on GitHub, but the integration on Phabricator can also a one-time cost for the project, which is already kind of on the way with https://github.com/google/llvm-premerge-checks <https://github.com/google/llvm-premerge-checks> ; then it is a matter of making it easier to add your own bot the pre-merge and increase the coverage.

You seem to be dismissing the cost of setting up bots as being something that has to be paid once. In my experience, however, this is actually a recurring cost because these bots need maintenance. And whenever we add a new bot, it's also a problem if we are confronted to this complexity again.

But like I said before, I'm only here to solve my (libc++) problems. And right now, my problem is that I *literally can't* figure out how to setup a pre-merge bot on Phabricator. Do you know how to do that? In all seriousness, can you show me how to set up even a simple bot that would run the most basic libc++ configuration? I'm sure I would be able (and certainly willing) to extrapolate from there and set up the other missing configurations without your help.

But if you can't help me, then who can? Honestly, I think we're all talking out of our hats and the only person who truly has gone through the process is Christian -- and you've seen his email.

Cheers,
Louis