[llvm-dev] How to add new AVR targets?

Dylan McKay via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 4 04:28:18 PST 2020

> If I interpret you correct, it should be sufficient to use avr-ld/avr-libc?

Yes, this is correct.

I just compiled clang with avr-target enabled and all seems to work
> well. I did not check the startup-code and the placement / values of the
> ISR vector-table, but this should be ok also, when avr-ld is in use.
>
> How do I specify ISR-functions. The same way as in avr-gcc?

Two steps

   - *The C/C++ function needs to be declared with either the calling
   convention avr-interrupt or avr-non-blocking-interrupt.* Skipping this
   step will cause regular ret instructions to be emitted for
   return-from-subroutine, instead of the required reti for interrupt
   handlers. ISRs also have stricter requirements on which registers must not
   be clobbered after execution, which the backend will handle properly by
   restoring all clobbered registers in the interrupt handler epilogue
   - *The symbol names of the ISR function handlers must match those
   referred to in avr-libc/avr-libgcc/crt*. This is because the ISR table
   is specified in assembly inside the GCC AVR CRT. The way it works is that
   the external symbol references in the CRT object files are declared with an
   exotic linkage type that causes the linker to skip linking of the symbols
   if they are undefined references. If you chose a custom ISR table in a
   custom CRT or runtime library, you would be free to choose ISR names as you
   pleased.

To see what the ISRs function names are expected to be, either check out
the avr-libc #define macros for declaring ISRs, as it exposes the final
symbol names for the ISRs it generates, or you can find the symbol names
via objdump directly from an AVR CRT object file, for example on my
machine, avr-objdump -St /usr/avr/lib/avr5/crtatmega328.o shows this

00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_1
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_2
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_3
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_4
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_5
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_6
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_7
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_8
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_9
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_10
> 00000000  w      .text  00000000 __vector_11

I suspect the avr-libc ISR macros will have AVR-GCC specific incantations
that AVR-LLVM will refuse to link, probably a custom attribute, but YMMV.